Re: [Axiom-developer] CCL maintenance.

From: Waldek Hebisch
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] CCL maintenance.
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 14:13:58 +0200 (CEST)

> *,
>
> Are any of the current maintainers working with CCL at all?  Is
> maintaining compatability with this Lisp of importance to anyone?

I checked that CCL from Nag Cdrom builds OK.  ATM I do not intend
to do any serious work on CCL, but I intend to check if current
Axiom is still compatible with CCL.  IMHO we should choose one
of possible directions:

1) Make sure that CCL really works for building Axiom
2) Drop CCL support completly

Current state, that is having a lot of code to support CCL, but
no testing of this code gives us the combined disadvantages of
the possibilities above: we are spending time on CCL support code,
but CCL does not work out of the box.

>From my point of view main advantage of CCL is that it is quite
portable.  Also, it looks that CCL can be cross-compiled with
basically the same effort as for native build.  There is also
licencing issue: IIUC CCL licence is pretty liberal when somebody
wants to deliver closed source program on top of CCL, but is
GPL incompatible.  Big disadvantage is lack of Ansi compatibility.

Clisp is also quite portable, so it is possible that CCL offers
no advantages over clisp (but this requires more analysis).

---
                              Waldek Hebisch
address@hidden