Re: [Axiom-developer] Build machinery -- support for out of source build

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Build machinery -- support for out of source build
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 04:56:54 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007, Martin Rubey wrote:

| Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:
|
| > Comments?
|
| Merge the interesting bits from trunk into build-improvements or wh-sandbox,
| not the other way round.  Then bless the result to make it trunk.  Most
| importantly, get Waldek back into the boat.
|
| Then you will also get myself back into the boat.
|
| Greetings from China,
|
| sad Martin

Martin --

   I do hope that despite recent discussions, things will calm down.
I sincerely hope that Waldek would reconsider his well explained
decision.  I would like to see us united around a common source we trust,
and that we work to make better.

   wh-sandbox was branched from build-improvements.  If I succeed in
getting the interesting bits there into trunk, then we should be
in position to consider wh-sandbox improvements.

   build-improvements is not finished, yet.  But I'm following my own
advice to people who believe they have to wait 30 years before
releasing anything to the public.  Not everybody has the same needs.
Some don't need Axiom for yesterday or today.  Some do.  My colleagues
and my students cannot wait 30 years before using Axiom.  They need it
now.  I'm sure many other people are in similar situations.  So, I'm
trying to incrementally release what I have in a state that is usable,
even if not perfect.  I would like to see basic functionality such as

     ./configure && make && make install

in first, then refine it.

  I hope to see all y'all back to Axiom.

-- Gaby