[Axiom-developer] gcl inlining policy

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] gcl inlining policy
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 12:20:05 -0500

Camm,

The first issue is correct behavior but a second priority is clearly
speed. I'm not worried about compiler speed but the speed of the
final generated code. At speed 3 all effort should be made to maximize
speed. If you have the original sources cached and can do compiler time
type propagation that's an even better win. Final execution speed of
Axiom is very important.

At safety 3 I'd expect no inlining and full type checking of arguments.
Choosing this setting I'm clearly more interested in catching bugs than
I am with speed. But I only use this setting while debugging.

As for space optimization I'm not sure it matters. I can't think of a
case where inlining will happen so many times that space is an issue.
Who writes a function with 50 mapcars? For space optimization it might
be better to throw away the cached sources.