Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom, FriCAS, forks and teeth

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom, FriCAS, forks and teeth
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 23:03:34 +0200

I find the whole thing odd. I thought Tim was pretty clear from the beginning on what the goals of the Axiom project were,

Could you give them right away without looking them up somewhere? Then
look them up. Where would you search?

and it seems as if many in the community hopped on board but really
didn't like the goals.

I think the goals have been repeated often on the mailing list, but they are not as present as they should/could have been.

I thought that the literate CAS approach was
very exciting, and made it stand out quite a bit to me; a
non-literate Axiom wouldn't have nearly the appeal.

The literate approach is one goal that I am not going to sacrifice. The question rather is that we cannot easily achieve it and it is currently unwise to require perfect documentation always as we need more developers and must teach new developers how to program in an LP style. As long as the developer is still on the project, it should be allowed to move code to trunk that does not 100% meet perfection with respect to LP. We can be more and more restrictive if the number of contribution grows. (BTW, I don't say, it should be allowed to move code without a reasonable explanation to trunk, just that the degree of perfection need not be 100% always.)

Ralf