Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: votes

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: votes
Date: 19 Jul 2007 00:01:25 -0400

Dear Martin,

I have not responded to your proposal yet because it has taken me some
time to consider.  But I think now I have settled on my position.

I do not believe that a vote is necessary, in any strong sense of the
term.  I would much rather, as William Sit so eloquently wrote on the
Wiki page, work towards an environment of "creative cooperations and
mutual trust".   It is only then that we can openly discuss,
criticize, and debate with some real prospect for agreement in the
end.  Votes alone cannot do that.

Martin Rubey <address@hidden> writes:
> > The trusted lieutenants are not voted in through a democracy, but assigned
> > the role by the lead maintainer, the leader, the visionary, the owner of the
> > branch, who calls the shots in the end.
>
> That's roughly the way it is at the moment, and that's why I decided to quit.
> If the democratic model or a variation of it is adopted, I'll come back and
> contribute.

The above comment struck me as being very much against the very
principles you are advocating.  You wrote in your original development
plan:

  Before you approve or disapprove, please try to envision how you
  will feel if your favourite patch does not make it into trunk,
  because there is a vote against it, and how you will feel if some
  large change takes place in trunk you are not happy with.
  Furthermore, will you be able to vote, independently and without
  being afraid of other peoples reactions?

I ask that you consider the notion that mutual respect and cooperation
can serve as a basis for the Axiom community.  The only trick is that
it takes everyone involved to make an effort in that direction.

Take care,
Steve