Re: [Axiom-developer] MonoidWithZero

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] MonoidWithZero
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 03:02:42 -0400

On 7/23/07, Franz Lehner wrote:

> After applying your patch and adding MRCAT to SPADLIST and CATLIST, so
> far all I can do is confirm the error message that you show above. I
> do not understand the cause but I suspect a bootstrap-related error. I
> think we need the opinion of the expert here: Waldek, do you
> understand the meaning and cause of the message "cannot produce
> category object"? Is this a bootstrap problem or perhaps a problem in
> the SPAD compiler?
When compiling it says
    Using local database
/home/lehner/usr/local/src/axiom/wh-sandbox/src/share/algebra/DAASE
where DAASE runs over

compress.daase
interp.daase
operation.daase
category.daase
browse.daase

These appear to be static but not intended to be read by humans. Does
anyone know how to update these databases?

The databases are being rebuilt as part of the bootstrap process and
at some point the new database files need to be used for the compile.
I think you are right to suspect this as a possible cause of the
problem. As I recall Waldek only partially completed the process of
completely rebuilding the databases files in wh-sandbox. In fact in
some recent commits to the FriCAS project he states that the build
process in FriCAS now builds the algebra without using any pre-defined
databases and in the documentation he explains exactly this kind of
problem.

I will try your patches on FriCAS and let you know how it turns out.