Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Fricas

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Fricas
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:57:43 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> wrote:

> It strikes that people are trying hard to speculate on Fricas goals
> and methods, much more than the originator of the Fricas project :-)

Point - in fact, a very good point.  Waldek isn't joining this fray so
far, but I'll quote from

"FriCAS will use traditional methodology for new developement and
gradually convert other files back to traditional form..."

(as opposed to literate form, if I understand his statement correctly.)

"FriCAS will use lightweight developement, allowing much faster

That seems to be sufficiently different from Axiom as I have understood
it to be defined to merit a separate project.  (And is probably a good
canditate for a description on the Axiom website.) In my opinion, it is
also to lead to a system which will diverge quite rapidly from Axiom's
current form.  Since Axiom itself will be diverging from its current
point (although probably more slowly) compatibility is likely to be a
difficult goal to strive for.  Particularly if one or both projects
start re-examining fundamental design decisions.

I have seen no responses to my previous question, which I think defines
the issue:  are there defining goals of Axiom the project that should
result in development in directions incompatible with those goals
becoming new projects?

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.