[Axiom-developer] Project directions

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Project directions
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:46:51 -0700 (PDT)

I'll make one more stab at asking my question, using a more concrete
illustration this time.

Gaby's slides reminded me of the ongoing Lisp vs. Boot situation we
have in the Axiom project - there are two camps both firmly committed
to Lisp or Boot respectively.

Unlike the question of literate programming tools, this is fundamental
- pursuing both goals at the same time in the same project is
nonsensical.  Both camps appear to be willing to do the work, but at
some point if work on both directions continues there will be a
collision between the two.

In that case, it seems logical that two projects would exist -
different goals are being pursued.  (This does NOT imply hostility,
just a recognition of different directions.)  Since they both wouldn't
be Axiom, one would have to be Axiom while the other becomes something
new.  In that situation, how do we resolve reasonably which group
becomes the new project and which remains Axiom?

That's why I was asking if there are fundamental project goals,
established when Axiom was originally started, that can be used as
"defining" goals associated with the Axiom name and used to select
which project should stay with the Axiom name.  Unless I'm missing
something there seems to be an inevitibility about this - one side
isn't going to abandon Lisp and the other isn't going to abandon Boot.

Cheers,
CY

Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
http://sims.yahoo.com/