Re: [Axiom-developer] Project directions

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Project directions
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 09:28:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, Bill Page wrote:

| Yes. So what we can do is take (for example) CCL with a bunch of
| Axiom-specific optimatizations as was done by NAG and just bundle it
| with Axiom. We don't need to call it Lisp. It is just becomes the
| abstract machine level for Axiom. Over time, moving towards more Boot
| and more SPAD code, less of Axiom needs to be written at the abstract
| machine level.
|
| What is the substantial difference?

At a point you'll see that the subset of CCL used is shrinking, and you
do not have to worry about Lisp (not just because you don't call it Lisp
anymore).

The substantial difference is that one between a plateform specific
assembly language (such as x86) and a portable high level language
(such as SML or Haskell).

-- Gaby