[Axiom-developer] literate programming and Claerbout's Insight

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] literate programming and Claerbout's Insight
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 23:13:07 -0500

>From <http://www-stat.stanford.edu/~donoho/Reports/1995/wavelab.pdf>
Buckheit, Jonathan B., Donoho, David L. "WaveLab and Reproducible Research"

Jon Claerbout's Insight

  An Article about computational science in a scientific publication
  is not the scholarship itself, it is merely advertising of the
  scholarship. The actual scholarship is the complete software
  development environment and the complete set of instructions which
  generated the figures.

That says it all exactly. They published CDs of their work.

We need reproducible research in computational mathematics.
And it has to rest on a literate, proven base of open code.
This can't be done in a commercial system.
Axiom has the opportunity to be the base of computational mathematics.
Now all we have to do is document axiom and prove the code correct.
I suspect that effort will take the next 30 years.
Look to the horizon.