Re: [Axiom-developer] literate programming, Claerbout's Insight and Doye

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] literate programming, Claerbout's Insight and Doyen
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 12:02:15 +0200

On 07/29/2007 06:29 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Now that memory kicks in I recall that one original motivation for the Doyen project was to create particular "snapshots" for
a particular piece of research that could always be reproduced.

Jose has carefully documented the process of creating a Doyen
CD so a paper could be published on the CD along with a complete
Axiom system to sit behind the paper.

The idea is that you can always reproduce and rerun the paper
even if the world moves. So Axiom development could continue
but you could still run last year's papers.

Thus Martin could build and distribute an environment that has
the necessary scripts to run his algebra. Or Ralf could distribute
the combinat environment on a Doyen CD along with traditional
publications.

CDs are, of course dying out. I would rather like to follow the idea of
LogiWeb. (Recent thread starts at http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/axiom-developer/2007-06/msg00658.html)

LogiWeb already has the idea of being like a journal. It's like a version control system but about scientific papers. Now, if those scientific papers contain code or not does not matter. If they contain code, all the better. Starting from the references of a paper, it can be found out on which other papers (code) the paper rests. So the paper plus the logiweb infrastructure actually gives a way to produce exactly the same running system as the author had when he produced the paper.

Of course there has to be some thought of how bugs are fixed in such a system and how one deals with progressing underlying hardware. But the basic idea should be like that.

For bugs, I think one has to review the "change file" idea of Knuth. (I did not find time to even find a good reference. But time will come when that will be important.)

Ralf