Re: [Axiom-developer] bootstrap Meta/Boot

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] bootstrap Meta/Boot
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 05:33:09 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Fortunately in the brave new world we seem to inhabit, there is no
> > sticking place for your objection.  You can create your own branch
> > and thus reconstruct Meta in Meta and Boot in Boot.
> And whoever wants to rewrite everything is LISP should create a new
> branch and write Axiom in Common LISP so that on the list
> *only* LISP remains No BOOT, no SHOE, no SPAD.

My take on this issue is that FOR MATHEMATICAL PROGRAMMING a language
which tailors itself to that task is warranted, either SPAD or
something similar.  This will eventually be the large majority of work
in Axiom, and so the benefits of a language specifically tailored
specifically to help with writing mathematics (which is quite complex,
even by programming standards) is justified.

I outlined earlier my take on this issue, which is why I don't ignore
the bootstrapping issue as pointless.

> I wonder, how many people would use such a system. And how many
> people would be able to maintain it.
> Tim, if you are so much concered with bootstrapping, what is wrong in
> having a very small lisp machinary to get to some state where one
> could climb the abstraction ladder and define the rest in some
> (hopefully)  more human readable language?

Just IMHO, Lisp code intended for human consumption is actually fairly
readable.  Boot's output is not a good way to judge.

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?