Re: [Axiom-developer] A curious algebra failure

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] A curious algebra failure
Date: 12 Aug 2007 09:55:02 +0200

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:

> As you suggested, I suspect it should have been written like
>
>      if S has SetCategory and S has "*"
>
> The trouble is that we don't want to test just for the name "*".  We
> want to test for the signature
>
>           "*":(%, %) -> %
>
> I don't know how to write that in Spad -- Ralf?

I do not know whether it is helpful, but I wrote code like

diffDSF: DIFFSPECSF
diffDSF(s, n) ==
-- I have to help the compiler here a little to choose the right signature...
    if SUP F has _*: (NonNegativeInteger, SUP F) -> SUP F
    then D(s, n)

I don't think that

    if S has _*: (%, %) -> %

would work, but

    if S has _*: (S, S) -> S

should.

Warning: I didn't check whether this is what you want to fix your bug.

Martin