[Axiom-developer] Re: ChangeLog on Silver

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: ChangeLog on Silver
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 08:26:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007, Martin Rubey wrote:

| Gaby:
|
| I did read your amendments, and I do believe that they are a good (very
likely:
| necessary) complement to democracy.  However, given our personalities (for
| example: my personality), there will always be disagreement about certain
| things.  The model I proposed has as intention to encourage people to keep
| their branches synchronised with trunk.

I do not believe my proposed model will remove disagreements.  However, I
would like to take political issues to a different entity that just
developers.

| This would be adressed also by the idea of a college:
|
| >    * A College (or Steering Committee) whose job is to make sure that
| >      the project is not over taken by an individual.  I truly believe
| >      we need that.  I've spoken to and received emails from some
| >      original Axiom developers who also promote the College view.
| >
| >      The College's job is not to make technical decisions.  The
| >      College will be discussing and making decisions about political
| >      issues.  Any developer can at any time request the College to
| >      consider any matter of his/her importance.
| >      The College appoints maintainers and release managers.
| >
| >      The College should not consist only of developers.  Users should
| >      be represented.  In general, people with either long term
| >      committement or interest in Axiom should be represented there.
| >
| >      I suggested to keep the number of College members small.  I
| >      suggested 7 for concreteness.
|
| I thought that the idea of voting what goes into trunk was simpler to
| implement, but I'm open to any model that avoids leaving people (also Tim) in
| the dark.

Certainly, in my amendement, I see Tim or Bill as a Global maintainers, so I
don't see who he will be left in dark.  I aslo see people like Juergen Weiss,
Barry Trager, or you, as members of the College (assuming they are willing to).

| How is the college formed?

Initially, the College would be formed by proposal by people on this list
(assuming potential members accept the task) and everybody subscribes to
axiom-developer would vote.  From there on, the College would replace
leaving members by vote.

| How will the college decide internally?

Large consensus or if necessary vote.

|  Currently
| there are not so many developers - are there more than ten?

I believe the College should no be the union of developers.  The union of
developers is the maintainers.

| Maybe you could add this to MathAction,

When I received your original proposal, I replied to MathAction with the
suggested amendment.  For some reasons, it does not show up.
Bill do you know why?

-- Gaby