Re: [Axiom-developer] A bug in windows Axiom

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] A bug in windows Axiom
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 09:08:40 -0400

On 8/13/07, Alasdair McAndrew wrote:

> I'm using Axiom with some cryptography students; at this very early stage we
> are having fun with very simple ciphers (Vigenere, Hill, etc), so we need to
> transfer from a string to a list of integers.
>
>  Here is how to reproduce the bug: on windows Axiom, enter the following
> tiny function:
>
> str2lst(str)==map(x +-> ord(x)-65,members(str))
>
> Now try to use it:
>
> str2lst("ABCD")
>
> Axiom will crash (apparently it creates an error log, but I don't know where
> to find this log).  Help or advice would be very welcome!

The current installer program for Axiom on Windows installs an older
version of Axiom in which the

  )set function compile on

bug was not yet fixed (refer to IssueTracker on the wiki). You should
try issuing this command before the function definition. This cures
most problems with functions in this older version of Axiom.

I tried your function definition using a version of Axiom on windows
compiled from the FriCAS sources and it works fine. Compiling Axiom on
Windows using the build-improvements or wh-sandbox branches should
also work fine. If you need some help doing that, just ask or see the
page

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/BuildAxiom

on the wiki.