Re: [Axiom-developer] problems compiling openaxiom

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] problems compiling openaxiom
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 09:11:20 -0700 (PDT)

--- Pablo De Napoli <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just joined axiom-devel, though I've been following the axiom
> development for a while.
>
> I've been trying to compile the different forks (branches?) of Axiom
> I've found problems both with OpenAxiom and Fricas, for sake of
> clarity I report them in separated e-mails.

Both of these projects have their own email lists, those source trees
aren't maintained here:

http://groups.google.com/group/fricas-devel?hl=en

http://www.open-axiom.org/lists.html

> By the way, don't you think that it is important to work all together
> rather than split axiom into different projects?

If you look through the axiom-devel archives, there are extensive
discussions on that subject.  The forks were not made casually.  The
short version is that there are distinctly different and incompatible
goals being pursued.

> Perhaps you should consider using a distribuited version control like
> mercurial or git for axiom, rather than subversion that it is for
> centralized work (to make merging code from the different
> branches/forks easier)

For Axiom itself, git is rapidly becoming the tool of choice.  Other
forks will have different policies.

> I confess that I'm a bit confused with so many branches and so many
> repositories in different version control systems and places.

Axiom is in the process of re-organizing itself to refocus around the
original project goals, per Tim Daly's email.  I don't know if that
will involve a re-shuffling of the branch organization.

As for OpenAxiom and Fricas, those are separate projects and will have
their own decisions to make about tool choices and build trees.

Cheers,
CY

Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.