[Axiom-developer] Installing axiom on suse linux 10.2

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Installing axiom on suse linux 10.2
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 06:17:45 -0500

(copied to the axiom mailing list to preserve the information)

I think your version of Axiom is quite old (uses gcl-2.5).

I downloaded the DVD image from the site you posted (software.opensuse.org)
and installed it on a clean machine. I needed to use yast to install gcc,
gnumake, cvs, latex, and the X developers libraries (for X11 headers).

Then I did a checkout of the Sept 2007 version of Axiom:

cvs -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/axiom login
(just hit enter for the password)

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/axiom co -P axiom
(-z3 gives compression, -P skips empty directories)

this gives a local directory called 'axiom'. Then do:

(we use 'fedora5' rather than 'linux' or 'suse10' due to a library location
 issue. this will be fixed in the next release of Gold)

cd axiom
export AXIOM=`pwd`/mnt/fedora5
export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH
make

If you don't wish to build from scratch
an executable image for suse10.2 can be found at
  http://axiom.axiom-developer.org/axiom-200709-fedora5.tgz

To use this image do:

  wget http://daly.axiom-developer.org/axiom-200709-fedora5.tgz
  cd /usr/local (or your preferred location)
  mkdir axiom
  cd axiom
  tar -zxf axiom-200709-fedora5.tgz
  export AXIOM=`pwd`/mnt/fedora5
  export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH
  axiom

Let me know if there are any other problems.