[Axiom-developer] Re: [open-axiom-devel] [fricas-devel] umlaut in Guess

From: Martin Rubey
Date: 04 Sep 2007 16:32:12 +0200

"Bill Page" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 04 Sep 2007 09:20:59 +0200, Martin Rubey wrote:
> >
> > Sorry Bill for replying late.  At least communication became a lot more
> > complicated with these forks.
> >
> > > While building FriCAS rev: 46 using GNU CLISP 2.39 on Solaris 10.2 x86
> > >  I received the error message:
> > >
> > >   invalid byte #xC3 in CHARSET:ASCII conversion
> > >
> > > in the file 'GUESS.spad'. Is this a known problem?
> > [...]
> > > Any suggestions? Should I just edit the file to remove these
> > >  "non-standard" characters?
> >
> > Yes.  Newer versions of Guess should not have any umlauts, but I'm still
> > considering to release newer versions GPL only.  (Because of the forks)
> >

> Would this mean that Guess could not be included in any of the
> existing Axiom forks (which are all licensed under modified BSD)?
> Since Guess is a "library" package, would you consider releasing it
> under LGPL instead? That would allow it to be included with Axiom
> without affecting the Axiom license. If you are willing to have it
> included in one or more Axiom distribution, could you please post up
> to date sources for GUESS somewhere?

I won't have time today, but I can I'll put updated sources on mathaction this
week.  Note that the license there is GPL, I explicitly gave permission only to
the version included in wh-sandbox.  This permission does cover bugfixes, of
course.  I would like to think about the benefits and drawbacks of a specific
license, before I make a decision.

> Sooner or later we will have to focus on only one fork of Axiom or
> another... :-(

Yes, and currently, there is really no fork I like.  I *did* like the structure
of the axiom project before the forks, though.  Four interesting branches with
different goals and ways to achieve them, but discussion on only one place.

But maybe we could at least concentrate the algebra discussion at one place.

Martin