Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: GCL on an AMD64 Linux system?

From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: GCL on an AMD64 Linux system?
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 13:05:49 -0700

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> root wrote:
>> Ed,
>>
>> I've forwarded your email to Camm Maguire, the GCL maintainer.
>>
>> It appears to be failing during GCL build. If you are using the
>> Axiom distribution there is a variable in the top level
>> Makefile that can be set to different distributions of GCL
>> (the old distros are available in the CVS archives in the zips
>> directory, I probably have a copy if you can't find it).
>> If you have the appropriate GCL tar file, for example
>>   gcl-2.6.7.tgz
>> and you set the
>>   GCLVERSION=gcl-2.6.7
>> then Axiom will build on that version of GCL from the zips archive.
>>
>> Tim
>
> Can I have it use the installed GCL? The version in Portage on Gentoo is
> 2.6.7 and it installs OK.

It turns out the gcl-2.6.7 tarball is there in "zips", so I just edited
the Makefile for 2.6.7 and it's now building. Meanwhile, I would
actually like to use one of the installed Lisps on my systems to build
Axiom -- I have a choice of SBCL, Clisp, GCL (and CMUCL but only on the
32-bit systems). Normally I just install SBCL because it works with
Maxima and the Lisp music codes I run.