Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: GCL on an AMD64 Linux system?

From: Andrey G. Grozin
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: GCL on an AMD64 Linux system?
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:07:25 +0700 (NOVST)

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
It turns out the gcl-2.6.7 tarball is there in "zips", so I just edited
the Makefile for 2.6.7 and it's now building. Meanwhile, I would
actually like to use one of the installed Lisps on my systems to build
Axiom -- I have a choice of SBCL, Clisp, GCL (and CMUCL but only on the
32-bit systems). Normally I just install SBCL because it works with
Maxima and the Lisp music codes I run.
I'll say a thing which is taboo in this mailing list :-(
Some other free CASs (not to be named here) which are descendants of the same codebase freed by NAG can be built with sbcl. Axiom at the moment can only be built with the non-ansi (old-fashioned) variant of gcl (note that maxima requires an ansi gcl). So, if you emerge gcl with USU=+ansi, you can build maxima; if you emerge it with -ansi, you can (maybe) build axiom; but never both.

Andrey