Re: [Axiom-developer] aldor concern

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] aldor concern
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 18:22:56 -0400

>so I put the question if any of you are 100% committed to maintaining
>your project as a free software project.  I do not object to
>supporting aldor for the end user but I will not continue using
>axiom/fricas/open-axiom if aldor becomes an essential component.

The Aldor software cannot become an essential component of Axiom due
to license issues. If the license changes I'd consider it for a more
fundamental role. However, additional, optional software components
can use the Aldor software. I have an Aldor branch locally but I am
reluctant to distribute it. One, among the many reasons, is that
Aldor would need to be literate and I won't make that effort due to
the license.

While I support the right to attempt to monetize Aldor that does not
imply that I support the right to use my work to monetize Aldor.

Support for the Aldor LANGUAGE using Spad compiler modifications, as
opposed to using the Aldor compiler software, is a feasible goal. The
Aldor language and the Spad language share a lot of common semantics.
Features like post-facto extensions imply the ability to extend the
domain vector dynamically which is certainly possible in Axiom.
Features like making types into first-class objects are also quite
possible in Axiom since types already exist as objects in the system.

Virtually all of the Axiom work I've done over the years has been and
will continue to be freely available. My philosophy is that we are
working on a new scientific discipline called Computational
Mathematics. As Josef Peiper points out in his book "Leisure, The
Basis of Culture", this is work done for its own sake. While I wouldn't
object to being paid to do it, I wouldn't do it for the pay. :-)

So be assured that Axiom will remain free.