Re: [Axiom-developer] SVN failure on Sourceforge.net

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] SVN failure on Sourceforge.net
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 00:59:55 -0400

>> All axiom development is done in git. The silver version
>> is available in git at axiom-developer.org. The "released
>> gold" version is on github.
>>
>> I maintain a shadow copy of the axiom development tree
>> on sourceforge in SVN, the so-called silver version.
>>
>> SVN has failed, yet again. Now it won't let me do updates due to:
>
>I'm sure as a project manager hosted a SF, you received an email
>from SF suggesting that you should be aware of migration ahead
>and that you should have a t look at
>
>http://sourceforge.net/community/forum/forum.php?id=11&page
>

>which among other things has:
>
>   Subversion migration on track for 2008-07-16
>
>`date` on my machine (CST) says that we are on July 16, 2008.
>
>I would not be surprised if the migration is not finished yet
>.
>Programmers know when to blame the tools, not the
>operators.

Excellent point. A possible cause. Mea culpa.

If this were the only SVN failure I'd experienced in the last
year I'd be quite mistaken. Note, however, that I've done an
update on the average of once every few days. SVN fails
quite frequently. When you consider that my basic sequence is

  patch -p1 <latest-git-patch-file
  svn status
  svn commit -Flatest-git-commit-msg

I'm not using it for anything but recording changes. For me it
simply implies that the level of code quality in SVN is nowhere
near what it needs to be. I really try hard not to leave broken
code in public repositories.

The git code, written over a few weeks time by Linus,
gets used much more heavily because I do local
branches/adds/resets/pulls/commits/pushs all day long.
git has yet to fail.

You only notice a tool when it breaks. And I have direct
comparative results of these tools. git never breaks. SVN does.
At least for me. You may not have seen SVN fail.

The SVN silver repo on sourceforge is now current again.