[Axiom-developer] Re: [sage-devel] Re: Fwd: New Journal

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [sage-devel] Re: Fwd: New Journal
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:50:24 -0400

>> Hi.  Dan Grayson sent Greg and me a message letting us know about this
>> discussion and I thought it might be helpful for if I joined the
>> discussion as one of the managing editors.
>
><SNIP>
>
>> I'm delighted that the journal has generated so much discussion.
>
>Yes, I think that forces between the different efforts in this area (I
>am aware of M2, Sage and also something in that direction by Daly and
>Traverso around Axiom)  should coordinate/merge since having three
>competing journals might not be best situation. This obviously depends
>on agreeing on a bunch of things like the license of the content and
>so on and since none of the journals has actually gone beyond the
>planning stage and put out an issue it remains to be seen what is
>happening.
>
>One thing that I see as a tiny problem is that right now it is the
>"Journal of Software for Algebra and Geometry" while at least of JSage
>(the Sage one to make it 100% clear) there was at least the
>possibility to go "beyond" algebra and geometry. Since we have not
>done anything in that direction the journal is vaporware for now, so
>the whole point might me moot.

Dr. Traverso (Univ. Pisa) and I have had many discussions about a
"live" or "literate" journal. The key concept is that the publication
should include the actual source code necessary to reproduce the
results in a particular version of a target system (e.g. Sage 3.1).

There are many fine points to discuss and debate but I think it is
vital to keep the research results with the actual implementation.
The current journal/conference/thesis mechanisms do not do that,
almost certainly because of their paper-based legacy.

If "reference" versions of the CAS programs were available then
these could be used to reproduce the results. Perhaps a CAS reference
site would be appropriate.

I'm not much concerned about the focus on Algebra and Geometry since
an idea has to start somewhere and an over-general attempt might fail.
I am hopeful that this journal can demonstrate the key concepts.
I'm willing to volunteer time and energy to make it happen.

Tim Daly
Axiom