Re: [Axiom-developer] pointers//Decontructing domains

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] pointers//Decontructing domains
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 15:12:39 -0500

Tim:

Thanks, your method works. For me at least, it is much
easier to handle strings than SExpression.

Waldek also provided a working method using opOf (but that
involves SExpression, and the output in SExpression can be
misleading), which is perhaps a bug (see my reply to
Waldek).

To summarize:
It is possible to deconstruct a domain (that is, trace its
constructor and the parameters to that constructor) using
Lisp primitives. Given an identifier whose value at turn
time is an Axiom domain, the function devaluate$Lisp returns
its value as an SExpression, and the function deconstrut
further turns the result into a list of SExpressions (which
may be useful to extract the first level of parameters, but
not necessary). The components can then be analyzed.
However, testing for equality of SExpressions can be
hazardous when the SExpressions are constructed in different
ways but the outputForms look identical. There are (at
least?) two ways to get around the problem. Assume we have
a, b defined below (but the value of the identifier a is not
really assumed known at compile time):

a:=Fraction Integer
b:=devaluate(a)$Lisp
  (Fraction (Integer))   Type SExpression

(1) (Waldek): use opOF to pick out the constructor of the
domain and test against a candidate using a quote expression
in Lisp coerced to an SExpression:

testW:='Fraction::SEX
c:=opOf(b)$Lisp
(c=testW)@Boolean

(2) (Tim): use a Lisp function SYMBOL_-NAME and then convert
the result into a string before testing:

testT:="Fraction"
c:=string(SYMBOL_-NAME(b.1)$Lisp)
(c=testT)@Boolean

In either method, do not set testW or testT to
"Fraction"::SEX, which would not test correctly.

William

--
William Sit
Department of Mathematics..Email: address@hidden