Re: [Axiom-developer] Embedding Axiom (Hickey and fold/unfold)

From: Martin Baker
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Embedding Axiom (Hickey and fold/unfold)
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 09:56:42 +0000

On Friday 20 November 2009 23:17:25 Tim Daly wrote:
> There is an excellent talk by Rich Hickey about modelling time,
> identity, values,
> perception, state, memory, etc.

Tim,

While I was watching this talk I was wondering about the difference between
the mainstream computing issues verses mathematical computing issues.

I get the impression that the mainstream issue, from this talk, is about how
to run multiple algorithms in parallel?

If we are trying to solve a set of equations, is there a natural parallelism ?
For the reasons discussed in the talk, should a rule based method be preferred
wherever possible and explicit coding of algorithms be discouraged?

Martin Baker