Re: [Axiom-developer] [axiom-developer] What do diagrams in bookvol10.3

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] [axiom-developer] What do diagrams in bookvol10.3 mean?
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 13:05:20 +0200

Besides, in my opinion (it is only my opinion, but still it is opinion
of newcomer) HyperDoc documentaion is structured in non-standard fasion,
which makes it not so easy to use at the beginning.

It's not just your opinion. But there is currently not enough manpower to treat every aspect of this big system. And if you look at the sources, you'll find that they are written in hypertex, which is close to tex, but has some hyperlinking features. There is no browser version since someone would have to translate (or automatically convert) the hypertex sources into html. Furthermore some of the sources, in particular the API descriptions are written in the source code itself as ++ comments. These are currently automatically extracted from the code and made available to HyperDoc.

As for help, there is probably currently only HyperDoc and some friendly developers on the mailing list(s). I almost never use the )show, )what etc. commands but do all with hyperdoc.

so it is ok. But it is structured in not so obvious way. Why AXIOM book
is in Reference secion? And why Reference->Language do not contain
description of creation of Domains, Packages and Categories? Where in
reference compiler is described? Why Examples anre in Reference section?
etc... All those things confuses for the first time significantly. Lack
of formal syntax reference, collected in one place is either makes
learning harder.

There are a few questions like "lack of formal syntax reference" that are not yet answered fully. Nobody has written a document about this (at least not to my knowledge). The closest thing you can find is the Aldor User Guide.

Please, do not think, that I'm ungreatful man. Actually, I understand,
that great efforts was made to develop axiom system (and its help in
particular). I think, that axiom is really wonderfull (it is the only
CAS I know, which has strict typing and syntax similar to haskell...
although I did not try Reduce). I like it very much and I only hope,
that things, that I've told above will help make Axiom even better and
easier for newcomers to adopt, so more people will start working with it.

No problem. But the thing is, that even *you* can help. Posing such questions, suggesting improvements, etc. Be concrete, take your time and dig into the source code, ask other developers if you get stuck, provide patches. Axiom will not becoming better over night. More people are needed.

(that's why I was wondering about diagrams, as I thought they could help
me to build hierarchies of Domains of categories - diagram given on the
axiom-developers.org <http://axiom-developers.org> is too big to be usable).

There are two quite usable diagrams in the original Axiom book by Jenks&Sutor. I don't however know whether these (smaller) hierarchies exist somewhere in the net.

At the moment I think, that I will generate CartesianTensor(1, 3,
Expression Integer) of required rank, ...

If some one can give some hints about what can be used in solution of
this problem, I would really appreciate it.

Open up a sandbox on http://axiom-wiki.newsynthesis.org, i.e. create, for example, the page http://axiom-wiki.newsynthesis.org/SandBoxTensorWithSymmetry and put your initial commands there. Perhaps, someone might help you in entering the right commands. Of course, you have to clearly describe you mathematical problem, i.e. what is input and what do you want to obtain in the end.

Ralf