[Axiom-developer] ACM interviews Knuth

From: daly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] ACM interviews Knuth
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 10:56:12 -0500

>From the ACM Bulletin: Thursday, June 5, 2014:

   Today's Topic: *People of ACM: Donald Knuth

Question:

   As a founding artist of computer science and a proponent of elegance
   in programming, what advice would you give to young people considering
   careers in computing?

Answer:

   Dear young person, if you are a geek, the world needs you, and you
   will never run out of opportunities to apply your talents. I urge you
   to take a close look at "literate programming"; it's a way to write
   programs that makes me incredibly happy, several times each week. My
   book The Stanford GraphBase
   http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=164984&coll=DL&dl=GUIDE
   contains several dozen short examples of programs written in that
   style, intended to be read by humans first and machines next.