Re: [Axiom-developer] MathScheme project

From: Jacques Carette
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] MathScheme project
Date: Mon, 8 May 2017 20:00:11 -0400

Comments inline below.

On 2017-05-06 16:31 , Tim Daly wrote:
Jacques,

I'm reading your paper "The MathScheme Library: Some Preliminary
Experiments".  https://arxiv.org/pdf/1106.1862.pdf

The LeftNearSemiring description on page 4 is essentially
what I'm aiming to implement in Axiom.

Are you trying to do it as we are, by carefully building up the 'signature' via combinators?  I know Axiom has most of the needed infrastructure, except for 1) renaming, and 2) a notion of 'join' that properly solves the "diamond problem".  That's the big difference between MathScheme and Axiom.  See paper [2] below.

We differ on the choice of 'axiom' vs 'proposition'. I see what you label
as 'axiom' as a continuation of the type signatures. You have

   * : (U, U) -> U

which in Type Theory is basically

   U : Type
   F : ( Type x Type ) -> Type

Similarly what you label as 'axiom' is really just another type signature
(per Curry-Howard) and I'd label it as a 'proposition'

Actually, we agree.  This is just a label - we use 'axiom' to mean 'signature of type prop'.  It's meant to be surface syntax closer to traditional mathematics.  As our internal core is dependently typed, there is no real difference.

So where '*' needs to be implemented in any Domain that inherits from
LeftNearSemiring the 'proposition'

associative_* := forall x,y,z:U  (x * y) * z = x * (y * z)

means any Domain which inherits from LeftNearSemiring would have to prove
those propositions using operations from the Domain being constructed.

Agreed.  That is exactly what we mean.

Jacques

Comments?

Tim