axiom-mail

Re: [Axiom-mail] Programming with BTREEs.

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Programming with BTREEs.
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 00:01:42 -0400

Simon,

Here is one solution:

(1) -> )r treelist.input

buildTree(lst:List Any):BTREE(Any) == binaryTree( _
    (car dom(lst.1)='List::SExpression => buildTree(lst.1); _
     binaryTree(lst.1)),_
    lst.2,_
    (car dom(lst.3)='List::SExpression => buildTree(lst.3);_
    binaryTree(lst.3)))

   Function declaration buildTree : List Any -> BinaryTree Any has been
      added to workspace.
                                                    Type: Void

(2) -> treeList := [e,[5,1],[[a,[1,1],b], [1,1], [c,[1,2],d]]]

   (2)  [e,[5,1],[[a,[1,1],b],[1,1],[c,[1,2],d]]]
                                                    Type: List Any

(3) -> buildTree(treeList)

   (3)  [e,[5,1],[[a,[1,1],b],[1,1],[c,[1,2],d]]]
                                                     Type: BinaryTree Any

---

'Any' is a very special type in Axiom. It is probably not a good place
to start to learn about types - or maybe it is if you can tolerate the
complexity of this answer :-)

Explanation:

Overloaded function names are not supported in the Axiom interpreter.
They are only available when writing in the library compiler language
called SPAD. But even if you wrote in SPAD, the function as you wrote
it originally would not work because in SPAD, types are static - that
is they are decided at the time you compile the program, not at the
time you run it. What you wrote requires dynamic type.

The type 'Any' is used to dynamically encapsulate values of any type
as a single type and that way avoid much of the type-checking
mechanism that would otherwise make this sort of routine rather
awkward. It is sometimes referred to in computer science literature as
"duck typing".

There are several ways to query the real type of the value
encapsulated as a value of type Any. This can be done by the function
'dom' which returns something in "Lisp form" called an s-expression.
In the case of a value of type List, the first component of the
s-expression (obtained by the function 'car') is the literal symbol
List.

The way to read the expression:

    (car dom(lst.1)='List::SExpression => buildTree(lst.1); _
     binaryTree(lst.1)),_

is:

   Check if the first item in lst is a List.
   If it is, call 'buildTree' recursively with the value.
   Otherwise call 'binaryTree' with the value.

Ref:

(4) -> )show Any
(4) -> )show SExpression

Regards,