bbdb-user

Re: bbdb-mua-display-recipients keybinding in bbdb-gnus.el

From: Gijs Hillenius
Subject: Re: bbdb-mua-display-recipients keybinding in bbdb-gnus.el
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2018 08:35:25 +0200

On  6 September 2018 12:41 Roland Winkler, wrote:

> On Wed Sep 5 2018 Gijs Hillenius wrote:
>> I'm about to use/define a key to add an email address entry
>> whenever I write to someone who is not already in bbdb.
>
> This already exists: BBDB can hook also into mail and message mode,
> in much the same way it hooks into modes that display messages you
> have received.  Or am I misunderstanding what you want to do?

If what you describe is the case, my set-up must be wrong. When I write
an email to a person /not/ in my bbdb, I currently can't use colon (:)
to add this person's name and email address to bbdb, because : only runs
bbdb-mua-display-sender.

On 5 September, I (finally) learn that I should use
bbdb-mua-display-recipients for that instead of bbdb-create or
fumble with bbdb-snarf-paragraph.

>> ;; (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "'" 'bbdb-mua-display-recipients
>>
>> What about gnus-article-mode?
>
> Why do you want to do that in buffers displaying messages you received?

In this case, it would not display messages I received – here I already
use the colon. It would display messages I sent. That is also
gnus-article-mode, right?

I keep sent messages in "sent.month.year" groups. I now know that I can
visit these groups and use bbdb-mua-display-recipients when I re-read a
sent email to a person not in bbdb . And I would prefer to use the colon
here too.

>> Would it be possible to re-define ":" to that it would do
>> bbdb-mua-display-sender and bbdb-mua-display-recipients in Gnus'
>> article mode and summary mode? Or is that confusing?
>
> Again, I do not understand your actual goals here.

My apologies. Hope I made it a little clearer.