bibledit-general

Re: [be] OLPC or EEE PC

From: Teus Benschop
Subject: Re: [be] OLPC or EEE PC
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 06:02:57 +0200

Hi Birch,

Our experience with this is that though Bibledit runs on the OLPC hardware, and on the Asus Eee PC, we prefer to recycle old hardware, as that is less expensive. Even in the case the translator breaks it, it will be less expensive to purchase a replacement. We have a small Compaq laptop with a 12" screen, with Debian 4.0 loaded on it, and Bibledit, and give that to the translator. And this works very well. This week we're going to do the second laptop in the same fashion, and give it to another checker. More experience than that we don't have. And yes, about the harsh environments, we bought a metal suitcase, put a lot of thick foam in it, and carry the laptop in that. In that suitcase it can withstand any drops, I believe. Common drops are those from the lorry on the ground. There is also the continued vibration during the 3-hour trip on the lorry travelling a corrugated road.

Just my few cents.

Teus.

Birch Champeon wrote:

After spending a month and a half chasing viruses and Windows bugs in India, I’m very interested in anyone’s experience with Bibledit on a ultraportable like the OLPC or Eee PC.  Is anyone using this in the field?  I’d appreciate any thoughts on using ultra-portables in harsh environments with novice users for Bible translation.

Thanks,  Birch