bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] GUI polishing

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] GUI polishing
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 12:45:53 +0200

Hi!

On 24/04/11 01:01, Joe wrote:
>> On 22/04/11 21:46, Joe wrote:
>>> Please see attached patch for loading theme-specific icons - so far only
>>> working on Linux. I would like to add other icons from theme, because I
>>> like when the programs fits into the desktop environment - especially
>>> when QT has good support for adapting look and feel to the desktop.
>>> Would you accept similar more complete patch? Windows and MAC does not
>>> support themes, so there would have to be theme icons delivered with
>>> Bino. I would vote for oxygen theme, because I really like it and for
>>> example my favorite media player Smplayer use oxygen theme on Windows
>>> as well. What do you think?
>>>
>>> Here is the specification of theme icons:
>>> http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-lates
>>> t.html
>>
>> I like this very much! I did not know about the icon theme
>> functionality, thanks for pointing this out.
>>
>> I pushed a patch based on your suggestion that uses icons from the
>> current system theme and falls back to built-in icons from the Oxygen
>> theme if this fails:
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/bino.git/commit/?id=ac84c5f0f614911a60c1c9a
>> 374015bd8cb91ec1e
>
> Great work!
>
>> This is a preliminary patch. Two current problems are
>> 1. there is not standardized icon for the "center-view" button, so I
>> misused the "view-restore" icon.
> Well I did not find anything in standard as well, so we could keep misusing
> "view-restore". The only handy icon i found in oxygen theme is "transform-
> move", but it could be ever worse misuse.

OK, then we stick with view-restore.

>> 2. there is only one icon for forward and backward seeking, so I made
>> the different seeking buttons slightly smaller or larger depending on
>> the amount of seeking. Is this ok?
> There is the "media-skip-*" icons, so we can use them as well for longest
> seeks. However we are still missing one icon ... maybe scaling one seek icon
> down a bit and the second scale a bit up, so even the icon will be a bit
> bigger?

I thought about using the media-skip-* icons, too, but they really mean
something different, don't they? When I see the icon, I expect it to
skip to the beginning or end.

But I like your idea of scaling the icons instead of the buttons. I
pushed a patch that uses icon sizes 120%, 100%, 80% for the three
buttons:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/bino.git/commit/?id=d8fce16ea46c148104c01e3019d172c2aadc7fc8

Martin