bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Help wanted (bino implemented with active glasses)

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Help wanted (bino implemented with active glasses)
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2017 16:17:28 +0100

Hello!

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 17:42:47 +0100, tomas j. cantador wrote:
> I am trying to use bino with active glasses.
>
> One question,
>
> How I syncronize bino with the glasses?

The graphics card and driver should do that. Use output mode "OpenGL
stereo". This is required for reliable and high-quality active stereo.

> I think that I have to use and modify the function
> display_current_frame() in the file video_output.cpp, so I would send
> to the glasses the activation signal when the left and right images
> are displayed But I do not know.

If you really really want to drive your glasses manually, use output
mode "Alternating left/right" with your 120Hz display, and in
video_output_qt.cpp function gl_thread::run(), immediately after
swapBuffer(), trigger your glasses to unblock the other eye.

Problems with this approach:
- Alternating left/right with 120Hz may not work reliably on your system
- Triggering your glasses immediately after swapBuffer may not be
  precise enough for high-quality results
- It is difficult to know which eye needs to be unblocked; it may be
  necessary to check if a swap of left and right eyes are necessary
  each time you start a video.

Regards,
Martin