bkchem-user

[Bkchem-user] generic atoms and groups

From: My Th
Subject: [Bkchem-user] generic atoms and groups
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 21:53:52 +0200

Hi!

Just found BKchem when browsing the web. I toyed with it a bit and it
seems to me that it is the best opensource (and Linux) 2D chemical
structure drawing program I have used so far. :)

But I have a question about generic atoms and groups (X - for halogens,
M - metals, R - alkyl, Ph - benzene, Ar - aromatic group etc.). Is there
support for this in BKchem? This feature is really important to be able
to use BKchem on daily basis.

I tried to draw a single atom and put an atribute (radical, charge) on
it, but it works only for symbols of chemical elements - X is treated
like ordinary text.

I looked a bit in source and found that there is periodic table of
elements with some additional query atoms and groups (like X, R). As I
understand they are used in structure search, but not in drawing. Is it
so? Any info would be very much appreciated.

Keep up good work!

Reinis