bna-farsilinux

Re: [FarsiLinux] repartitioning application

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [FarsiLinux] repartitioning application
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 13:10:51 +0300

On Thursday 31 July 2003 10:12, Arash Bijanzadeh wrote:

> nparted is a frontend for GNU parted. and I just execute it! :(
>
> > How did you test this application? Because I think It shouldn't be
> > that bad :-) !!!

Then Arash, it should work, cause everywhere I look, people are
reporting success stories with it.

Look at the issue in this way: GNU Parted is the *only* free software
application which has partition resizing capabilities. I have myself
resized ReiserFS with it, and it worked perfectly. FAT32 (or vfat)
shouldn't be a problem either, because it has been explited to hell,
and everyone now knows how it works (there are even Linux distribution
that use FAT as their file system), NTFS is another story though, but
if Parted's manual says that it supports NTFS, then it does.

Take a look at http://www.cooper.edu/~lent/knoppix/Knoppix.html#resize
it might help you.

Also there is a freeware DOS program, called FIPS, which resizes FAT
partitions (dunno if it workd on NFTS or not, think it doesn't). Many
Linux distributions used to come with FIPS.

I also learned that Manrdake's partition resizer is also based on Parted
code. So in a nuttshell, I again stress, Parted is our *only* choice.
If it resized ReiserFS for me (which is a relatively new fie system),
then I don't know why it shouldn't resize FAT or NTFS.

Cheers

--
/*  Give a man a URL he surfs one site.
Teach a man to google, he surfs for life */

Aryan Ameri