bna-farsilinux

Re: [FarsiLinux] New member & suggestions

From: Arash Zeini
Subject: Re: [FarsiLinux] New member & suggestions
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 16:19:50 +0430

On Sunday 03 August 2003 14:50, Aryan Ameri wrote:

> On Thursday 31 July 2003 10:16, Arash Bijanzadeh wrote:
> > >
> > > A really nice idea. However given our current resources, I think
> > > this one shouldn't be high in our agenda, and should wait after we
> > > have reached some milestones in our own distro.
> >
> > Do not agree!
> >  It is just a matter of packaging.
>
> Excuse me???? Just a matter of packaging? don't think so.
>
> You said that we should find a way, to add Farsi support to major Linux
> distros. As far as I can see, it's more a matter of writing scripts,
> than a matter of packaging. For redhat as an example, we should remove
> it's KDE, install a new KDE, then add things like fonts and keyboard
> layout and etc to it, then ....
>
> Come to think of it Arash, it is not that muc simple. It's a good idea,
> sure, but one for the future.
>
> > And for our own distro we need
> > both the packages and the experience of packaging.
>
> Packaging is not that much a great deal. Is it? There are thousand of
> HOWTOS describing how to package into .DEB and RPM format.

I don't agree with ab, but packaging is not THAT easy.
Whilw we have not solved the first problems, I do not see why we should add
more work to our tasks?!

> > AND because of conflict with aictc we should do something ASAP, to
> > prove ourself in the action.
>
> Don't agree here. We are not the ones who should prove ourselves. They
> are the ones who have won the money, and thus they are the ones which
> should prove themselves. Sure, it would be nice to beat them, but I
> personaly prefer to have a good and reliable distro, than one that
> barely works. Even if it takes time, I think quality is more important
> than time. Building a robust distro takes time Arash, it might ( as
> Arash Z noted) take months to only do the R&D.
>
> Building something ASAP is certainly not in my list.
>
> Cheers
>

> PS: I am waiting on your report on Libranet, and CollegeLinux. Have you
> guys tested these distros? What are your viewes?
>
> Cheers

First of all thanks for sending them. A fast review, first impression based
on our needs, not objective:

- Libranet is quite interesting and a good ditro to go with. But uncertain
licensing, no sources and hence no advantage compared with Debian.
- College Linux: a strange mix of all distros available, but little
innovation, no good package management and the installer is useless for
our purpose.
- Xandros: Looked promissing at first, but did keep little up to no
promises made, apparently no GPL installer and not under active
development, as far as I could tell. Very innovative and easy to install.

Greetings,
Arash
--
The FarsiKDE Project