bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] Bandwidth Usage

From: Hossein S. Zadeh
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Bandwidth Usage
Date: 16 Jul 2003 18:34:21 +1000

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 16:44, Amin Abbaspour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sniffers are cool toys, but in fact it's not what I'm looking for. Traffic
> analyzers and sniffers mainly focus on IP destination, source, packet
> type... and so on.. not on Processes...

Hi there,
What I do in my ISP company is that I assign specific IPs and/or MAC
addresses to users. Then as users connect, I add an accounting rule to
IPtables, when they disconnect, I get the accounting report from
IPtables, do whatever I need to do with it, and then I remove the rule
from IPtables.

I do realise that this does not do accounting per process (but per
user). This will do you just fine if all of your users connect remotely.
But if you have local users, it may be quite difficult to do what you
want... :-(

Hossein