bna-linuxiran

Re: [linuxiran] Redhat 9 to Debian Sarge Migration

From: Hossein S. Zadeh
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Redhat 9 to Debian Sarge Migration
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 09:33:18 +1000

Farid Behnia wrote:
It's certainly a good point but they have implied they
are willing to do the whole migration as a one-time

Hi there,
This is both good and bad. Let me explain:

From what you have said, I gather the management is not sure of all the differences; all they are interested in is to see the system working AND to see you happy. In addition, it sounds like the company is more than a garage-based business, but small enough to *trust* one person to play around with their production system.

Having worked on both sides of the fence, I gather, you have made a very good impression in the company, you have their confidence, and they think you are the best thing since sliced bread (good for you). I am really happy for you.

But (and there is always a but), based on a number of years of management experience, I can tell you this: don't screw this up! Because of the size of the company, it is very hard to hide your mistakes, and it is even harder to re-gain the management's confidence. In other words, what's on line is *your ass*!

I am sure you know what you are doing, and the fact that you have asked the question here shows that you are not khaki. I hope everything works out great for you.

I have used both redhat and debian in production environments, and I've been very happy with both. Because of the points raised in another post, I don't deploy redhats any more. But I still do not feel quite at home with debian as I do with Fedora (which has more to do with my lack of recent hands-on experience than any shortcoming on the part of debian).

With regards to binary device drivers, most binary drivers these days are statically compiled/linked. This is to make sure that they don't stop working if a user upgrades a seemingly unrelated library. This, of course, has the advantage of cross-compatibility. Just copy the driver from one system to another, and it should just work (albeit some twicking of config files, etc.).

Cheers and good luck,
Hossein