bongo-devel

[bongo-devel] Re: Marks

From: Daniel Jensen
Subject: [bongo-devel] Re: Marks
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:59:46 +0100

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

> We could bind `* RET' to `bongo-play-marked', but it would
> be nice to have a key that always played the Right Thing.
> For example, there's no way to play an album from library.

I have no idea ... How about `C-c RET' or `!'? Nah, I dunno.

>> I considered using text properties from the start instead,
>> but I was attached to the idea that the user could mark
>> tracks in a certain order.  Also, remarking a track would
>> pop the marker to the front of the list.
>
> Hmm... do you have a use case for that?  It's an interesting idea,
> but if it isn't useful it will probably just be confusing.

This is a feature that, in my opinion, is both useful and
nonintrusive. I don't see how it could be confusing. In the common use
cases, marking with `% m' and friends, order is preserved as expected.
But when you mark tracks in an explicit order, it follows what you do.

You use Gnus, so you can try its marking commands. I think most of
them operate like this. For example, to reply to several messages,
mark them in the order you want them to appear in the reply.

I thought I had implemented this in my draft for Bongo, but I guess it
was just a thought. It's only a line of code, actually.