[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
bug#6281: Fwd: Possible bug in coreutils-8.5 or associated gnulib versio
bug#6281: Fwd: Possible bug in coreutils-8.5 or associated gnulib version
Thu, 27 May 2010 23:31:41 +0100
On Thursday 27 May 2010, Jim Meyering wrote:
> Chris Clayton wrote:
> > I've just tried to build coreutils-8.5. The compilation finished OK,
> > but make check hangs when
> > gnulib-tests/test-lock is run. The log showed that the hang occurred
> > somewhere after the
> > message "Starting test_rwlock" was output, so I've added some
> > additional debugging output to the
> > test_rwlock function so that it now looks like:
> > The final run shows that even if I leave the app to run for several
> > minutes, it still fails to
> > complete.
> > I am running kernel 2.6.34 and my gcc is gcc (GCC) 4.4.5 20100525
> > (prerelease) (this week's 4.4
> > snapshot), although I get the same hang if I build and test with
> > gcc-3.4.6.
> > I'm not subscribed, so please cc me into any reply More than happy to
> > provide any other information
> > you need to solve this.
> Thanks for the report.
Thanks for the reply.
> I cannot reproduce a problem with 2.6.34 and gcc-4.4.4.
> Is there anything else about your environment that might be unusual?
The only thing I can think of is that glibc is a bit old at 2.7, but if I
update to a later version,
some of my apps stop working [e.g. midnight commander (mc)] and no matter how
much recompiling I
do, I can't get them to work again. The system started out (5 or 6 years ago)
as Peanut Linux,
which was a Slackware derivative amended to use rpm for package management.
many, many packages have been added (KDE,OpenOffice, udev, cherokee - I could
go on and on here)
and upgraded. But it's finely tuned to the things I do with my computer. I tend
to update packages
as new versions become available, other than where I bump into dependency
clashes or massive
rebuild of packages.
> Can you reproduce that using the latest from git?
> If you're up to it, here's the build-from-git procedure:
Had to build and install a few dependencies, but I've done the build-from-git
thing and I get the
The call to configure during the build is as follows:
./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-nls --mandir=/usr/man --infodir=/usr/info
--disable-acl --disable-rpath --disable-xattr
Interestingly, I've just run test-lock under gdb a few times and it always ran
successfully. I'm not
really that well qualified to have a stab like this, but that fact does make me
wonder whether we
have a race/timing problem here. I'll do a bit more hacking on the test-lock
program and see if I
can get any more diagnostics.
Thanks for your help so far.
The more I see, the more I know. The more I know, the less I understand.
Changing Man - Paul Weller