[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Fri, 04 Mar 2011 08:41:40 -0700
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20101209 Fedora/3.1.7-0.35.b3pre.fc14 Lightning/1.0b3pre Mnenhy/0.8.3 Thunderbird/3.1.7
On 03/04/2011 08:27 AM, Станислав wrote:
> Thanks a lot for clarifying!
> I also think it would be nice to notice this behaviour clearer in
> documentation. man dd says almost nothing about. info dd says about 'short
> reads' but it seems not so easy to understand what it means. 'dd' is
> populary utility in scripts so many people can bumb into this behaviour. As
> for me it took two months to catch 'slow' problem with our tape drive.
> PS: Is it good work around that I mentioned before (I mean 'ibs=256K
> obs=256K') or it can be changed in future?
POSIX requires that 'ibs=n obs=n' behave the way you want; it is _only_
the 'bs=n' behavior where a short read results in surprising behavior.
Eric Blake address@hidden +1-801-349-2682
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org
Description: OpenPGP digital signature
- bug#8171: [dd] bs=blocksize doesn't work as expected, Станислав, 2011/03/04
- bug#8171: [dd] bs=blocksize doesn't work as expected, Ondrej Vasik, 2011/03/04
- bug#8171: [dd] bs=blocksize doesn't work as expected, Pádraig Brady, 2011/03/04
- bug#8171:, Станислав, 2011/03/04
- bug#8171:, Pádraig Brady, 2011/03/04
Eric Blake <=
- bug#8171:, Станислав, 2011/03/05