bug-gnu-emacs
[Top][All Lists]
Advanced

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

bug#3454: marked as done (<SPC> when reading the emacs manual sometimes


From: Emacs bug Tracking System
Subject: bug#3454: marked as done (<SPC> when reading the emacs manual sometimes goes to the wrong node)
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 15:45:04 +0000

Your message dated Wed, 03 Jun 2009 11:39:17 -0400
with message-id <address@hidden>
and subject line Re: bug#3454: <SPC> when reading the emacs manual sometimes 
goes to the wrong node
has caused the Emacs bug report #3454,
regarding <SPC> when reading the emacs manual sometimes goes to the wrong node
to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact address@hidden
immediately.)


-- 
3454: http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=3454
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact address@hidden with problems
--- Begin Message --- Subject: <SPC> when reading the emacs manual sometimes goes to the wrong node Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 00:40:37 -0500 <SPC> when reading the emacs manual sometimes goes to the wrong node.

Emacs version: GNU Emacs 23.0.94.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.4)
 of 2009-05-26 (built from pretest source tarball)

Running on CentOS 5.3.
No options given to configure.
Also tested on Windows with same results.


How to reproduce:

Run emacs -Q
C-h r (Reads emacs manual)
g Command Index (takes you to the "Command and Function Index" page of the manual)
M-> (Go to end of info node)

At this point, your cursor should be at the end of the info node that lists all commands and functions.  Note that at the top, the next node is listed as "Variable Index".  I would expect that pressing <SPC> would take you to this node.  However, if you press <SPC> it takes you to some other node.  It takes me to the middle of the node "49 Two-Column Editing".

I believe <DEL> has a similar problem, but I didn't narrow down a test case.

According to the manual for Info, "You can read an entire manual top to bottom by just typing <SPC>".  So it seemed strange to me that pressing <SPC> went to some place in the middle of the manual instead of the next node.

This problem also existed in emacs 22.3.


--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: bug#3454: <SPC> when reading the emacs manual sometimes goes to the wrong node Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 11:39:17 -0400
> Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 00:40:37 -0500
> From: Shannon Jones <address@hidden>
> Cc: 
> Reply-To: Shannon Jones <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> 
> Run emacs -Q
> C-h r (Reads emacs manual)
> g Command Index (takes you to the "Command and Function Index" page of the
> manual)
> M-> (Go to end of info node)
> 
> At this point, your cursor should be at the end of the info node that lists
> all commands and functions.  Note that at the top, the next node is listed
> as "Variable Index".  I would expect that pressing <SPC> would take you to
> this node.  However, if you press <SPC> it takes you to some other node.  It
> takes me to the middle of the node "49 Two-Column Editing".

This is not a bug: SPC does _not_ necessarily go to the Next node;
instead, it traverses the nodes as a tree: if there is a menu in the
current node, it takes you to the first menu item of that menu.

If you need to go to the Next node, type `n', not SPC.

> According to the manual for Info, "You can read an entire manual top to
> bottom by just typing <SPC>".

Right, but by going to the Next node you will not end up reading the
whole manual, because Next does not descend to sections, subsections,
subsubsections, etc.  SPC does, so it does indeed guarantee that you
end up reading the whole manual in the logical order: before you move
to the next chapter, you read all the sections and subsections of the
current chapter.

This logic does TRT in nodes that are not indices, because an index is
ordered alphabetically, not in any meaningful order as far as the
sections are concerned.

Morale: do not use SPC at the end of an index, use `n'.

I'm closing this report.

--- End Message ---

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]