bug-gnu-emacs
[Top][All Lists]
Advanced

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

bug#26445: 26.0.50; Scroll margin and cursor movement working incorrectl


From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: bug#26445: 26.0.50; Scroll margin and cursor movement working incorrectly when scrolling over different height lines
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 16:05:31 -0400

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Noam Postavsky <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 15:09:14 -0400
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> This code in `try_cursor_movement' is what's different for scrolling
>> vs non-scrolling lines.
>>
>>           /* If within the scroll margin, scroll.  Note that
>>          MATRIX_ROW_BOTTOM_Y gives the pixel position at which
>>          the next line would be drawn, and that
>>          this_scroll_margin can be zero.  */
>>           if (MATRIX_ROW_BOTTOM_Y (row) > last_y
>>           || PT > MATRIX_ROW_END_CHARPOS (row)
>>           /* Line is completely visible last line in window
>>              and PT is to be set in the next line.  */
>>           || (MATRIX_ROW_BOTTOM_Y (row) == last_y
>>               && PT == MATRIX_ROW_END_CHARPOS (row)
>>               && !row->ends_at_zv_p
>>               && !MATRIX_ROW_ENDS_IN_MIDDLE_OF_CHAR_P (row)))
>>         scroll_p = true;
>
> Not sure what you are saying: do you see some problem in the above
> code?  If so, where do you see a potential problem.

Just noting that this appears to be where the difference between
scrolling and not scrolling on the alternating lines in the recipe is
decided. Specifically the first test: MATRIX_ROW_BOTTOM_Y (row) >
last_y.

>
>> I think the root issue might be that scroll-margin is given in lines,
>> and then it's translated to pixels under the assumption that lines are
>> all using the default height.
>
> If that's the problem, I see no good solutions here, because
> scroll-conservatively > 100 explicitly requests to position point as
> close to the window edge as possible, and the alternating lines of
> different height in the recipe of this bug report force us to stop one
> line earlier every other scroll.  Am I missing something?

I would have to sketch this out on paper to be sure, but you're probably right.

>
>> Although my initial attempt to make
>> window_scroll_margin take different line heights into account doesn't
>> seem to have any effect. AFAICT, the next test, PT >
>> MATRIX_ROW_END_CHARPOS (row), just triggers instead.
>
> Not sure how to interpret what you say here.

Just that the debugger seemed to be showing me that the divergence
between the scrolling and non-scrolling is at the 2nd test after
applying the patch below.

>  If point is beyond
> MATRIX_ROW_END_CHARPOS of a row, it means point is not in this row,
> because MATRIX_ROW_END_CHARPOS gives the buffer position of the first
> character in the next row.  There are no coordinates, pixel or
> otherwise, involved here.

>> modified   src/window.c
>> @@ -4820,10 +4820,17 @@ window_scroll_margin (struct window *window,
>> enum margin_unit unit)
>>          }
>>        int max_margin = min ((window_lines - 1)/2,
>>                              (int) (window_lines * ratio));
>> -      int margin = clip_to_bounds (0, scroll_margin, max_margin);
>> -      return (unit == MARGIN_IN_PIXELS)
>> -        ? margin * frame_line_height
>> -        : margin;
>> +      int margin_lines = clip_to_bounds (0, scroll_margin, max_margin);
>> +      if (unit == MARGIN_IN_LINES)
>> +          return margin_lines;
>> +      else
>> +        {
>> +          struct it it;
>> +          init_iterator (&it, window, BEGV, BEGV_BYTE, NULL, 
>> DEFAULT_FACE_ID);
>> +          move_it_to (&it, -1, -1, it.last_visible_y, -1, MOVE_TO_Y);
>> +          move_it_by_lines (&it, -margin_lines);
>> +          return it.last_visible_y - it.current_y;
>> +        }
>
> Is this a suggested patch?  If so, how can it fix the issue?

It's not, because it doesn't :) I'm just noting what fails to fix
this, for future reference.

>  When a
> line is taller than the canonical height, positioning point on it
> might enter the scroll-margin, and we still need to back up, don't we?
> IOW, the above code still move "by lines", and will "stutter" if lines
> are intermittently of different height.  What possible solution could
> we come up with in such situations?  It seems to me that the user gets
> what they asked for.

Yes, maybe the answer to this bug is just not to set
scroll-conservatively so high then.





reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]