[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

RE: [Bug-gnubg] Re: Using GNU engine for NetGammon cyber players

From: macherius
Subject: RE: [Bug-gnubg] Re: Using GNU engine for NetGammon cyber players
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:17:09 +0100

My original posting was short, so I keep this one short as well. It was a
mistake and in parts a no-brainer. If there were cancel messages in SMTP I
would send one. Apologies in particular for my tone, without doubt too
harsh. I'm glad Oystein clarified the major points, so all I need to do is
to agree with his mail here. 

I wish all the best to Pierre's plan and am looking forward to the
contributions of netgammon engineers. There are numerous examples where OSS
and commercial projects are synergetically working together, so let's create
another showcase :)


> -----Original Message-----
> From: address@hidden [mailto:address@hidden 
> Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2005 7:26 PM
> To: macherius
> Cc: 'Nis Jorgensen'; 'Pierre Labbé'; 'gnubg (E-mail)'
> Subject: Re: [Bug-gnubg] Re: Using GNU engine for NetGammon 
> cyber players
> Hash: SHA1
> macherius wrote:
> | IANAL^3, and here are my 0.02.
> |
> | First I think it is a fair act of Pierre to ask the 
> question at all, 
> | it would not have been required by the GPL.
> Yes, The way he asks show that he is polite and the company 
> he is representing is a serious company.
> | Second, I think a compensation of whatever kind to the long 
> time gnubg 
> | hackers is just a matter of decency and manners. However, 
> that's fully 
> | outside the GPL, which deals with software licensing and not with 
> | people.
> Agree!
> | Still, a BG-playing bot on a gameserver is not unlike a machine 
> | printing money.
> Here I disagree. You make it sound like it is a crime to be a 
> good player. Anyone who play a good player or a good bot must 
> prepare for a loss. I don't consider myself as a weak player, 
> but I still don't play anything for money on the net.
> (My backgammon friends tells me I have to play for money on 
> the net because I can make big money on playing there. I'm 
> such a good player that I will make good money, they say. But 
> why should I? I enjoy the game, not the gambling. Even if I 
> make a profit, I wouldn't say I'm printing my own money just 
> because I'm a good player.)
> | Thirdly, if I had to summarize the GPL as briefly as possible, it 
> | would be: "Do whatever you like, but the sources are belong to us".
> Very incorrect summary! Have you read the license? Have you 
> read the philosophy? Your summary sound more like the summary 
> for the BSD license. Check out the difference.
> | So rather than money Pierre could offer code. The 
> borderline is where 
> | GnuBG ends and the bot begins: at the interface level. So 
> if netgammon 
> | worked in that area, it should give back the code for 
> inclusion into 
> | the CVS.
> Yes, we love code as well. ;-)
> - -Øystein
> Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (MingW32)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
> iD8DBQFCClWs6kDTFPhwyqYRApkzAJ9KoH7X3E3f4rE+n9d5Aar2VLNodQCfWApZ
> hgr/rnx9OV+K4UyFzB/0kEU=
> =ucOq

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]