[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Real user now!
Re: Real user now!
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:02:14 +0100 (CET)
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> address@hidden writes:
> > I'm now using Lilypond. I just installed 2.1.25, and noticed a couple of
> > small things:
> > 1. The lilypond-documentation Fedora Linux RPM installs docs in
> > /usr/share/doc/lilypond. Strictly it should be in
> > /usr/share/doc/lilypond-documentation-2.1.25 (i.e. with the same name as
> > the RPM and with the version number).
> This is intentional: we can refer to the docs as being in
> /usr/share/doc/lilypond regardless of version and platform.
I don't think that's a good enough excuse for breaking the naming rules,
and I think there are better ways of achieving the same results. I haven't
even seen any instructions on where to find the docs, but if I did want to
look for them I'd look at man lilypond. This helpfully tells me that I can
look at info lilypond for the full docs: no need to worry about paths. It
could be made even more useful by having a note in the man page and info
docs that there are also HTML and PDF versions; the paths to them can
easily be inserted at build time.
If you wanted to make it really useful you could integrate the HTML and
PDF docs with the other documentation readers like scrollkeeper (I don't
know anything about this; I'm quite happy to use man, info and rpm -ql to
find my documentation).
One other problem I've noticed with the RPM is that the entries inserted
in my info dir file for the converter programs don't work: I get the error
"No such anchor in tag table or node in tag table or file" when I try to
follow e.g. the entry for abc2ly. Is this because these are not top-level
pages in the info file? (I'm not an info expert.)
I noticed an error from the RPM post-install script about the
Music glossary entry when I upgraded to 2.1.25 (sorry, I didn't note what
it was). The menu entry works fine, though.
Finally, a tip you may want to include in the FAQ or Wiki: I started
trying to use the kick-xdvi facility, but it didn't work. I have tetex
2.0.2, and there, /usr/bin/xdvi is actually a shell script which runs
xdvi.bin. Hence, the SIGUSR1 goes to the wrong process (the shell script)
and just kills the viewer. This is easily cured by changing the last line
of the script to put "exec " at the start. I've told tetex's maintainer
about this too, but tetex moves slowly...
http://www.mupsych.org/~rrt/ | The shorter the better