[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Issue 2173 in lilypond: Deal with file names not encoded in UTF-8

From: lilypond
Subject: Re: Issue 2173 in lilypond: Deal with file names not encoded in UTF-8
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 18:10:55 +0000

        Labels: Type-Enhancement

Comment #5 on issue 2173 by address@hidden: Deal with file names not encoded in UTF-8

1) Probably not the issue: In Windows the encoding used by the console is chosen by the user. This is analogous to setting the file encoding of a text editor.

We can use `chcp 65001` (set code-page to 65001) to set the the console encoding to utf-8. Then if we ask LilyPond to process this input from a UTF-8-encoded file,
#(display "schöne weiß Łodz ы́Бʁ فينا ζ غ")
we will see all the characters that out chosen font can print, boxes for the rest.

Redirected output from `lilypond test.ly > out.txt` goes byte-by-byte into the file *regardless* of console settings. So, I just set the editor or receiving program to expect UTF-8 and never bother with `chcp 65001`.

2) I confirm Wilbert's observations in the email linked at the first post.
Although Windows utilities like 'dir > out.txt' encode file names according to the `chcp` setting, Lilypond messages containing filenames remain in what looks like Latin1 encoding (even when some characters are not in Latin1).

It might be nice to use the UTF-8 for any text LilyPond outputs. Maybe MINGW, with the proper LOCALE, implements a translation between UTF-8 and the bytes it needs to send to the file system...

However, Windows users with various native languages are making LilyPond work, so caution, or laziness, seems wise.

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]