[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: vms:test variables
Re: vms:test variables
Tue, 15 Apr 2014 17:46:46 +0200
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:17.0) Gecko/20130519 Icedove/17.0.5
On 04/15/2014 03:06 PM, John E. Malmberg wrote:
> The fix there is on VMS to replace "echo > $@" with:
> 'open/write xxx $@ ; write xxx "" ; close xxx'
Yes, that should do the trick as other possible fixes can do the same.
> Perl choosing logical names as the default for implementing %ENV has
> turned out to be a major bug. It is causing a lot of problems with
> porting programs and with the Perl self tests and also the perl
> makemaker, along with issues with the make test harness.
Can of worms? I didn't want or intend to open it, I just wanted to
describe what I observed. If GNU make for VMS uses local symbols for
exporting make variables it should work.
> If the recursive make is exec(), then there is a variant that allows an
> environment array to be passed. This is the way that Bash passes
> exported variables to children.
I thought of that: there is more than just exec and it looks like a
major rewrite of the VMS version for child_execute_job.
> Yes a general export routine that saves the old value/state of a local
> DCL symbol on something like a linked list, creates a new local
> variable, and an atexit() routine that restores everything off of the list.
Looks like less code than a rewrite but is still a significant piece of
> But we also need to get symbol substitution working in the spawned DCL
> command. Either by translating the makefile to use one of the VMS
> substitutions or by having the wrapper to lib$spawn do a shell emulation
> for such variables.
Which symbol substitution? The forced symbol substitution isn't done,
but the automatic ones are. With a changed makefile it will work. It's
the old trick
echo GNUMAKEFLAGS = $$GNUMAKEFLAGS
write sys$output "GNUMAKEFLAGS = ",GNUMAKEFLAGS
- Re: vms:test variables, (continued)
- Re: vms:test variables, h.becker, 2014/04/07
- Re: vms:test variables, John E. Malmberg, 2014/04/08
- Re: vms:test variables, h.becker, 2014/04/08
- Re: vms:test variables, John E. Malmberg, 2014/04/09
- Re: vms:test variables, h.becker, 2014/04/10
- Re: vms:test variables, h.becker, 2014/04/11
- Re: vms:test variables, John E. Malmberg, 2014/04/11
- Re: vms:test variables, h.becker, 2014/04/12
- Re: vms:test variables, h.becker, 2014/04/14
- Re: vms:test variables, John E. Malmberg, 2014/04/15
- Re: vms:test variables,