cardinal-dev

[Cardinal-dev] stink

From: Caroline Rocha
Subject: [Cardinal-dev] stink
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 04:18:41 -0700

After all that count was an empty-headedcoxcomb; there are better than he in Memphis.
I gazed at her and of a sudden passion took hold of me. That is, how can I who must go at once to attend to matters inthe city that cannot be postponed?
Do you believe in these prophecies of his?
Because I would have it so, she answered, tossing her head. Indeed, I wondered much how in afew short hours my mother had made so rich a preparation. Wordsthat from another would signify little or nothing, on his lips werefull of meaning. He was arrayed as ageneral, and wore no emblem of royalty save a small golden uraeus uponhis helm. If you wouldkeep her at your side, Ramose, let it be as your wife. Indeed, what I said was but to tryyou, so let it be forgotten.
At last in poor, baldsyllables the common question broke from my lips. What is known of this Nabonidus, Pharaoh? Thenhe appeared surrounded by a mounted guard. Already by his threats he has earned much evil at the hand of fate.
He comes of a great House that has grown wealthy by trade.
Then he went, leaving me wondering where I had heard those wordsbefore.
Myra, answered my mother, known as the daughter of my son Ramose. Most beautiful she looked thus in her youngloveliness, yet most splendid, like to a queen indeed. Nay, it was strained and anxiousand on his brow appeared beads of sudden sweat.
Never beforedid I know how beautiful she was. Now shewill have little left for which to wish.