Re: [Chicken-users] Calling out to C causing hang

From: Chris Double
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Calling out to C causing hang
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 23:23:05 +1200

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 14:18, Chris Double wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 13:37, address@hidden wrote:
> > I have seen similar "lock ups" - in my case the CPU went to 100% in
> > use. It turned out to be a loop in the (minor?) garbage collector,
> > repeating the collection infinitely.
>
> This sounds like the problem. My CPU goes up to 100% also. Are you able to
> provide a pointer to what functions to look at that might be looping so I
> can confirm?

I can confirm that this is definitely my problem. Chicken gets stuck calling
C_reclaim over and over. My scheme code looks something like:

(let loop ()
   c_func()
   (loop))

c_func gets called many times and with many minor and the odd major collection
occuring. Then at one point handle_interrupt is called in C_reclaim and
that's when things go funny. As soon as that happens chicken gets stuck in a
loop performing minor collections.

I'm now tracking down why handle_interrupt got called, what it does and why it
should cause the problem.

Chris.