Re: [Chicken-users] Egg for converting character sets with iconv

From: felix
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] Egg for converting character sets with iconv
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 23:07:32 +0200

Joerg F. Wittenberger wrote:
Felix Winkelmann <address@hidden> writes:

Are  there  plans to  support  multibyte  characters directly  in
Chicken?  This  ought to be  done very carefully: i'd  rather not
have them supported at all (ie. through my egg) than through some
poorly designed interface.

No, currently there are no such plans. I'm not a big fan of unicode,
to be honest. But what I could live with would be an external library
(similar to Bigloo's ucs2 module).

I'm just about to come back to "re-"port Askemos to chicken.  This
will require me to implement something.  For Rscheme I decided to go
with UTF-8 (after reading about the gauche experience) and that seems
to be the right choice to me as well.  The actual code doesn't really
interfere with plain ASCII strings as basic Scheme string type.  All
I'll need from chicken is yet another data type, which has a "length"
field, size field and a byte string.  Felix, this would be easy,
wouln't it?  Should we try to add multi byte support to chicken that
way?

You mean a separate disjoint datatype? No problem. But how transparent
should string operations be? Would a separate set of operations
(utf8-string-ref, ... - the actual names are not important right now)
be acceptable?